Intramural Sports on Campus: Hit or Miss?

If you played sports growing up, throughout high school, or just enjoy a good game every now and then, then intramurals might be the right activity for you.

However, how many does Siena offer and how do students learn about them?

Intramural leagues are run through Student Engagement, with a representative from the Athletic Department collaborating with the office as well.

On Nov. 10, there was be a dodgeball tournament in the Fieldhouse. This was a collaboration with the Sports Management Association (SMA) and intramural leagues. The event is called “Dodging Cancer” and has received good student participation so far. This is one of the more well-known sports that has been going on for some years.

Next Nov. 18, there will be a Futsal tournament. This was started last year and had enough interest to bring it back for a second time.

Besides these, are there any actual leagues, though? According to Director of Student Engagement Gabe Dunbar, the biggest challenge of intramurals is students’ commitment and interest, as well as finding space in the fieldhouse.

In terms of intramurals and how it is decided on which ones to hold, Dunbar said it’s partly based on what has been successful in the past. Indoor volleyball has been very successful over the past years and is a tradition that occurs every spring. This intramural sport runs for one month, with a final championship where teams compete in a bracket, fighting to win the prized, golden volleyball.

Dunbar said he is open to suggestions for intramurals to hold. There has been talk of ultimate Frisbee, currently, in addition to their staple sports conducted throughout the year.

“It’s trial-and-error,” said Dunbar, when describing the process of trying new intramurals.

He said they have tried in the past to do a sand volleyball league, but it seemed like students preferred the option of playing a pickup game every now and then, rather than having a structured and formal layout.

If you are a student and dissatisfied with the current intramurals and have ideas or suggestions, please email Dunbar at [email protected] or stop by his office in The Hub.