SHU VOTES! Student Voting Task Force Helps Students Register to Vote

The Student Voting Task Force was an idea that was developed last year by Director of Student Engagement Gabriel Dunbar and Director of Diversity & Inclusion Sharese Mathis. The duo put together faculty, staff and some members of Student Government to work on this project.

According to Dunbar, the main goal is to “help students register to vote, help them be educated to vote, and help them to be excited to vote.”

They had a workshop week at the beginning of the semester to put together a plan with events to cover important dates preceding the elections.

Recently, a representative from the Michigan Secretary of State’s Office visited campus to have students register to vote in person. The event was made possible through the initiation of the Student Voting Task.

“Our main focus is trying to help students to register in person because this way they are eligible to vote absentee (by mail). So, we reached out to the Secretary of State Office via our local county clerk to be able to make contact and therefore have somebody in person to conduct registration,” said Dunbar.

The registration table was placed in the University Center and attracted a great number of students to pursue their right to vote.

“In a course of three hours, we had 90 registrations and 73 absentee request forms filled out. We were pleased with it, and the Secretary of State Office (representative) was pleased as well. When compared to other schools, we really showed up and we’re proud of our students,” said Dunbar.

Some other election-related events are:

• Vice Presidential Debate – Oct.
  • Election 2016 Teach In – Oct. 5
  • 2nd Presidential Debate – Oct. 9
  • 3rd Presidential Debate – Oct. 19

For more information about events and times, students can contact Dunbar at [email protected] or stop by The Hub (located on the second floor of the University Center).