Counseling Office Shares Tip on How to Handle Stress

Last week marked the fall mid-semester at Siena Heights University. Tensions are high as students are rushing to complete their projects and receive good mid-semester marks. With all the studying and school work, there is a great deal of stress as well. Sandy Morley, the director of Counseling at SHU, has a few suggestions as to how students can get a better handle on stress.

“It’s always a busier time right after and right around midterms, especially once they (the students) see grades, and kind of see where they are at for the semester,” says Morley. “I think it’s real important first of all to take a deep breath, and kind of take some time to reflect upon all that.”

Counseling is just one of the resources available for students on campus. The office of disabilities is prepared to assist students who might need extra help.

Some questions Morley said she asks students would be if they are doing what is necessary to stay heathy. Seeing the school nurse and making sure you are in good health are important things to tend to as a college student. The nurse is located in Ledwidge Hall on the first floor across from the counseling office. Morely also suggested looking at tutoring, time management, and other things that will help you be more organized and less stressful.

When asked what students come to talk to her about the most Morely said, “I think just stress. Stress is hard and so if you’re having many things on your plate at once and you add stress to that, it can make it really difficult.” Once again sleep is an important issue for college students. “Lot of times students aren’t sleeping well, not eating well, so taking care of some of their basic needs really is helpful.”

Morely recommends getting a good night’s sleep, eating well, getting some exercise, and doing some relaxation. Sometimes participating in a fun activity that is healthy such as a hall program can put one’s mind at ease.

Learning to find the balance in college is difficult, but sometimes talking to a counselor may be a bigger help than students realize.  Any student that wants to meet with Sandy Morley can email her at the address below to set up an appointment, or just walk into the counseling office.

“Anxiety is huge thing that people come here for. Which is basically stress and that can be about anything. The biggest thing people come here for is stress,” said Morley. Topics can range from relationships, to school, home life, to plans for the future. The counseling office is there to help students learn to better balance college life.

[email protected]